Tuesday, 7 July 2009

This Holiday Stinks!

I have been a bit absent lately, due to my broken computer, which is still awaiting urgent medical assistance, but having a "family computer" has helped a bit. Although its a bit like taking a ticket and having to wait for your number to be called out. I would like to say that the lack of computer has had me sewing away like a cyber deprived maniac, but alas I don't have much to show, except a very small silk pouch. (More about that in another post).

Jellybelly Jellybrain, has posted her holiday snaps, and I have to say there wasn't a moment where I was thinking "oh hurry up" because she took some very nice shots of things at the very hot and summery beach. However as we are in the middle of a very cold winter here in New Zealand, the only place for a holiday, in my opinion is Rotorua, or one of our stunning mountains for skiing, but I have an aversion to snow (probably from living in the UK for 12 years.)

So on Friday we gave the kids the last day of term off and we hit the road early for our 3 hour trip to Rottonrua. Nicknamed aptly because it smells of eggs. Its all the sulphur and thermal activity I assume, and not that the town lives on Baked Beans and Cabbage.

Between you and me, I don't think a weekend counts as a "holiday", but Mr Busy has done a spreadsheet and budget forecast and it looks like that could be it...
... so I will show you a few of our "holiday" snaps.



There was quite a bit of this


And a lot of this...



A trip up the Gondola



and a hair raising ride down the luge .

Please note: Picture is not indicative of actual terror shown.

Then off for some thermal activity...


Where things got steamy at Wai-O-Tapu (Sacred Waters)



This sign means....


Don't stick your fingers in the hot water Mr Busy!!




I conveniently wore a top to match The Devils Bath.




and not forgetting the bubbling mud pools, which I could have stood and watched all day!


And now for a small pictorial interlude ...










before I bid you Ka kite ano ...

2 comments:

Sandra @ Pepperberry & Co. said...

Ooh- it looks gorgeous! That smell kills me, though. I love those bubbling mud pools- great photo! And nice note on the terror :-)

Little Miss Flossy said...

We took the kids there over the summer - it really is a stinky place! I love how the ground steams in random places. Our best bit was a visit to Kerosene Creek where the whole river runs hot. It must be bliss there in the winter. Looks like you had a wonderful time (I'm a secret speed-freak and must have my luge fix too!).